Preparing for a Location Closure
If a location or branch is closing temporarily for public health reasons, renovation, repairs, etc. there are a number of things to consider:
You can download the Sierra desktop client for use at home or another location by following the instructions on the OPAL Support pages and use as normal.
For Sierra Web, there is a limit on concurrent users so we prefer that users download the desktop client. If anyone does need to use Sierra Web we ask that each institution limit to two web sessions.
Access to Your Collections
If you need to restrict access to certain parts of or all of your collection please contact email@example.com and let us know if the entire institution is affected or just certain parts of the collection. We can work with you to address institution closures (see lending and borrowing below) or make specific location codes non-circulating or locally circulating (during renovations, for example), according to your needs.
Lending and Borrowing
We can assist you with changes you may need to make for lending to and borrowing from OhioLINK and OPAL institutions. In a temporary closing situation, let us know how you want to handle the following :
- Do you wish to turn off lending to OhioLINK and/or OPAL institutions? How long?
- Do you need to turn off your institution as a "pick-up-anywhere" (PUA) location? How long?
- Do you want your institution to continue being able to request items using "pick-up-anywhere"?
- OR do you want to turn off borrowing for your patrons from OhioLINK and/or OPAL institutions completely? How long?
- Do you need to stop PCIRC deliveries? We will also need to know
- Which courier stops will need to be closed?
- How long these stops should remain closed?
- Where any items currently in transit to the closing locations should be sent (e.g. to the main library)?
OhioLINK will work with Priority Dispatch to stop service to the closing locations. They will also work with Innovative to remove the pickup locations for the closing locations from the Central Catalog so that no new requests will be sent to these locations.
Items Already Checked Out
- If all or part of your institution is closing, please communicate with your patrons.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request updates to patron due dates. Please note that changing hours open/days closed for circulation does not affect currently checked-out items.
- Handle INNReach/PCIRC material similarly to how you will handle your own items. This may include options such as mailing items to students, renewing items, and/or extending due dates so that students can return them when they are back on campus.
Once You Return
- Notify email@example.com to restore borrowing and lending for OPAL/OhioLINK and circulation settings. Also confirm library hours for any adjustments to hours open/days closed table in Sierra.
- Do Not clear the holdshelf until about 3-4 days after you re-open, so that patrons have a chance to pick-up items.
- Since bills and overdue notices run automatically, if you updated the due dates for your institution's checked out items, your patrons should be protected from generating overdues and moving through the cycle. They may have still received a notice if it was in the que though.